Re: standard build script (method 2)

Uhm..dunno what I was thinking when I pressed the "send" button, I meant to send the following code:

strip() {
(cd ${instdir} && \
find . -name "*.dll" -or -name "*.exe" | xargs strip > /dev/null 2>&1 )
}
Yes, this would work just fine. But I'm confused as to why there's so much discussion about "fixing" something that works. "Efficiency?" We've all just wasted 27 times as much time just writing these emails as this would EVER save...
No no, my initial point was not that it saved something, it was that I didn't know the newline to be a good separator and I did think that stopping on the DLLs only because there aren't to test seemed wrong to me. (I'd rather consider an error a problem in stripping and not the normal absence of a file... just that)

Doesn't seems "right" to me that the (sometimes normal) absence of DLLs should stop the thing.
You could of course reply that scripts are meant to be adapted to the package...
You misunderstand. The current code continues, and will strip .exe's even if there are no .dll's. The initial proposed change would break the current (good) behavior.
Well... so there's a problem as the code actually exited with a 123 error.
Which I can reproduce writing the line that tries to strip the DLLs.

And I *thought* it was newline's fault, but now you said me that's a fine separator... but I wonder why the script gave problems to me then...

You can do whatever you want in your buildscript -- it is totally user-customizable. I just don't feel like messing with a working example in pursuit of (possibly illusory) "efficiency" goals...all to save 0.2 seconds per build.
That was not the point, it was just a (positive) side effect.
The point was that I had problem with the script stopping after build, and I identified it stopped just on the DLL line.
Don't know why, if the newline is just like a ;

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)