Re: ITP: Guile 1.5.6

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

Ok.  But (nitpick) shouldn't those be in either libintlX, or in
gettext-devel?  I didn't imagine they would be in gettext, so I didn't
even look there...

Yes, ordinarily you would be correct (just like you were earlier today vis a vis netpbm <g>). However, the gettext package was split up in a weird way, based on suggestions from Bruno Haible, the "real" GNU gettext maintainer.

He specifically stated that:

gettext
Contents: Runtime libraries and programs.
Audience: Anyone who wants to run internationalized programs.

gettext-tools
Contents: Tools and documentation for developers and translators.
Audience: Anyone who wants to develop or localize internationalized
programs, i.e. developers and translators.
Dependencies: requires gettext.

gettext

$prefix/bin/gettext
$prefix/bin/ngettext
$prefix/man/man1/gettext.1
$prefix/man/man1/ngettext.1
$prefix/doc/gettext/gettext.1.html
$prefix/doc/gettext/ngettext.1.html
$prefix/share/gettext/ABOUT-NLS
$prefix/share/gettext/libintl.jar
$prefix/lib/libintl.*
$prefix/lib/charset.alias
$prefix/share/locale/locale.alias
$prefix/include/libintl.h

gettext-tools

Everything else, i.e. currently:

Unfortunately, we aren't linux -- so we must separate the runtime libraries from the binaries. Hence,

libintl2 (runtime libs)
gettext
gettext-tools

except that since 'gettext-tools' contained "development" tools, so I renamed it 'gettext-devel'. Perhaps that was misguided.

However, the important point here is that Bruno **specifically** stated that the link libraries should go in the gettext package. Without an overriding reason to violate that 'suggestion', I went ahead with it.

Sorry for the confusion. :-)

--Chuck