Re: ITP: Guile 1.5.6

Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:

> Well, the setup.hints for guile-doc, libguile14, and libguile14-dev
> packages should all include an 'external-source: guide' line.

Ah, ok, will do.  I imagined upset would handle that kind of thing.

> Also, the libguile14-dev package concerns me.  It should probably be
> called 'libguile14-devel' (not -dev) for consistency with other
> packages.

Consistency good.

> Also, will libguile14-devel be able to peacefully coexist
> with, say, libguile15-devel?  Or should the -devel package be called
> "guile-devel' instead, so that only the latest version of the
> headers/statlibs/implibs are ever installed?
>
> To me, it sure looks like the latter is true:

Yes, most probably.  That's what Debian does, and
cygwin.com/setup.html advises to look over there.  In Debian, it's
called libguile-dev.  That combined with the example of
libnetpmb10-dev[el] (ahum), led me to choose libguileX-dev.

> So, this package should probably be
>    guile-devel
> NOT
>    libguile14-dev

Hmm, I'd say maybe libguile-dev, but I don't care too much?  Anyone
else feels like arguing?

> There are also four bigger problems:
>
> 1) In libguile14-dev (guile-devel), these files:
>      usr/lib/libguile-srfi-srfi-13-14-lt-.a
>      usr/lib/libguile-srfi-srfi-4-lt-.a
[..]
> I'm almost positive that something is going terribly wrong here.
> Those names just do NOT look right.

Hmm, they look odd indeed.  I'm sorry to let that slip.  I'm so very
much not charmed by automake and libtool.  I'll have to investigate.
(..)  Turns out that I goofed, trying to fix a build problem by
transplanting Makfile.am from CVS.

> 2) The import libs should be in the -devel package, not the runtime
> package.

Ok.

> 3) What's with the sticky bit on the directories within the archives?
> Is that kosher?

That's probably an artifact of my installation over here.  Will fix
that too.

> 4) guile.m4 is in the wrong place, and in the wrong package.
> Currently, it is in /usr/aclocal and is part of the libguile14
> package.  It should be installed into /usr/SHARE/aclocal/ and should
> be part of the 'libguile14-dev'=='guile-devel' package.

Ok.  Thank you very much for your detailed report.  I should really
have caught some of these things before releasing, but I've been
waiting for this quite some time.

> P.S. However, I do think that guile is a worthwhile addition to the
> cygwin distribution...

Thanks,
Jan.

--