RE: please update libXML

libxslt also links against libpython and libxml2

I added to mylibs in libxslt-1.0.18/python/Makefile.am:

  -lxml2 -L/usr/lib/python2.2/config -lpython2.2

There are still some issues, though. I didn't get the python
bindings for libxml2 and libxslt installed without some messing
around.

Part of the problem might be that my install prefix was /usr/local,
so the python module got installed in

  /usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages

which is not by default in python's module search path. To
append this directory to the search path, I created the file:

  /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/local.pth

with this content:

  ../../../local/lib/python2.2/site-packages

Another part of the problem is that python doesn't grok that
the module 'libxml2mod' is the file 'cygxml2mod.dll' (same goes
for libxsltmod). The filename must correspond to the module name.
My quick-and-dirty fix was to add a link (symlinks won't work) to
the dlls:

  ln cygxml2mod.dll libxml2mod.dll
  ln cygxsltmod.dll libxsltmod.dll

AFAIK, nothing but python is supposed to load or link against
these files. Either they should be created with the correct module
name, or python must learn about .la files.

Kind regards
Peter Ring