Re: 2. ITP: expat-1.95.3 for Cygwin

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

Hallo,

Expat is needed for the Perl module XML::Parser which is
used widely.  Since it is not trivial to build it from
source with the latest release I provide a prebuilt package
for the Cgwin Perl community.

1) the docu should go into /usr/doc/expat-1.95.3/ not /usr/doc/expat/

2) you should *not* use autoupdate in your reconf-cygwin script. Autoupdate changes *source* files for the autotools; it is intended to help you -- the maintainer -- create source file mods needed so that we -- other users who want to build-from-soruce -- can rebuild using "normal" auto* tools (autoconf, aclocal, autoheader, automake, libtoolize)

e.g. take a snapshot after running autoupdate but before running the other tools -- that should be the patch.

2a) also, you should call reconf-cygwin as part of the "prep" stage, not the "conf" stage -- IMO.

3) you probably shouldn't use the --automake option with libtoolize, since you aren't using automake.

4) How often is the library version going to (incompatibly) change?
VSNFLAG = -version-info @LIBCURRENT@:@LIBREVISION@:@LIBAGE@
I note that the package version is 1.95, but the shared lib version info is LIBCURRENT=2, LIBREVISION=0, LIBAGE=2 -- which means we're on the 3rd compatible release of the initial API revision. (thus, cygexpat-0.dll).

I ask because IF you expect an incompatible change, you might want to split the DLL out separately into a 'libexpat0' package. OTOH, that's a PITA and if the API is very stable, it's probably unnecesssary.

-------
All that being said, I think 'expat' is a useful addition.

The tarballs ready for use/review/upload:

http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin/expat/expat-1.95.3-1-src.tar.bz2
http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin/expat/expat-1.95.3-1.tar.bz2
http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin/expat/setup.hint

BTW: cygwin is mis-spelled, although the links above work properly WITH the mis-spelling.

--Chuck