Re: new package offering: zsh

No -- if zsh can handle cr+lf internally, then let it do so.  Explicitly
open function files in binary mode -- this will override the "textmode
mount" which sets the default read mode.

That way, number of bytes reported by stat() will equal the number of
bytes reported by read().  The buffer thus filled will contain cr+lf --
but supposedly zsh can deal with that...

--Chuck