Re: strange source packaging?

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>  From my point of view, when I download the source rpm for a package, I
> always find it rather annoying that I have to apply patches by hand.  I'd
> rather just have the latest, greatest version of things extracted into
> a directory where I can type "configure/make" without any extra thinking
> involved.
>
> My 1c.  Now back to this resurrected discusion...

I'll add another penny to make it 2c.  I agree with Chris that I'd
rather already have the patch applied.  I differences from pristine
supplied would be nice but if I really care I would go and find the
originals.  BTW, IIRC, Mumit supplied the differences for GCC for
download from his still available nanotech site and he also posted most
of his patches to GCC patch lists for inclusion.

If we're really concerned with tracking subversion changes, why not
import the pristine source for a version release to CVS, tag it as sv0
and each subversion release can be tagged accordingly, i.e. sv1, sv2,
etc.

Earnie.