Re: strange source packaging?

> As to why the .gz(or.bz2) compressed "original source code" tarball is
> included inside an .bz2 -src package, when the internal tarball can't
> really be compressed further:  it's the original.  If I ungzip it, and
> then bzip it, then it isn't the original version EXACTLY as distributed
> by the upstream folks...
>
> Hope that helps explain it.

Thanks for the long explanation (it seems that there is always some part of
this ML that doesn't hit my eyes, even if I read it all ^_^)... anyway the
base is "exact original is preferred upon size" if I got it right.. right?
(even if a gunzip <source | bzip2 >dest would alter in no way the tar and I
see no diffrence between 'dest' and 'source' in any pratical way (uhm.. people
)... but inter-programmer politics is not my concern, your answer fully
satisfied my curiosity)

Thanks,
Lapo

PS: I can see at least a motivation for using "exact original package" now: so
that people can use md5sum and get convinced that the included file is really
exactly the original...

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)