Re: strange source packaging?

Currently, there are three dominant -src packaging standards.

1. As detailed on
http://cygwin.com/setup.html#package_contents
foo-VER-REL-src.tar.bz2 unpacks thus:
   foo-VER[-REL]/
   foo-VER[-REL]/source files
   foo-VER[-REL]/subdirs
   foo-VER[-REL]/subdirs/source files
   foo-VER[-REL]/CYGWIN-PATCHES
   foo-VER[-REL]/CYGWIN-PATCHES/the-patch (*)

(*) already applied to the source tree.  Use this to REVERT to the
"pristine" source.

2. packages which have cygwin-adapted source maintained in a
cygwin-hosted CVS repository (e.g. gcc, cygwin itself, binutils, make, a
few others).

foo-VER-REL-src.tar.bz2 unpacks thus:
   foo[-VER[-REL]]/
   foo[-VER[-REL]]/source files
   foo[-VER[-REL]]/subdirs
   foo[-VER[-REL]]/subdirs/source files

In this scheme, there is no "cygwin patch" -- the cygwin version is
basically a fork.  If you want to know how the cygwin-specific source
differs from the "official" version, you must get both sources and do
the diff yourself.

3. A method hashed out on the cygwin-apps list last november:

patches to vendor source trees - discussion:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2001-11/msg00046.html

-src package standard: proposal #5 and #5a:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2001-11/msg00490.html

foo-VER-REL-src.tar.bz2 unpacks thus:
   foo-VER.tar.[bz2|gz] -- original source code
   foo-VER-REL.patch    -- the cygwinization patch
   foo-VER-REL.sh       -- a script to drive the whole
unpack/patch/configure/build/re-package procedure.

As to why the .gz(or.bz2) compressed "original source code" tarball is
included inside an .bz2 -src package, when the internal tarball can't
really be compressed further:  it's the original.  If I ungzip it, and
then bzip it, then it isn't the original version EXACTLY as distributed
by the upstream folks...

Hope that helps explain it.

--Chuck