Re: Setup's download "local cache" storage directory!!!!

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> I'm sad about where setup is putting my files.  I've asked setup to
> store my local cache in c:\Applications\Cygwin where I expect to find
> latest\, contrib\, etc. under which I expect to find the application
> directories where I expect to find the files.
>
> However I find that setup is instead creating a directory based on the
> mirror name and storing the files under it.  This is not at all what one
> would expect, especially a seasoned user of setup.  PLEASE CORRECT
> THIS.  Sorry for shouting but now I've gotta go play games. YUCK!!!

Ummm, Earnie, you've been around long enough that I am surprised to say
this:  check the mailing list archives.  This has been discusses to
death.  The local cache is for setup's use, not yours.  (Setup sucks as
a mirror tool, because it was not designed to BE a mirror tool).  This
behavior is not a bug, and it will not be "fixed".  It's necessary
behavior to enable new functionality, but that you personally dislike.
"Earnie Boyd doesn't like the side effects" is not really a compelling
argument for eliminating the new functionality.

In order to merge the contents of multiple sites, the cache contains
separate trees for each "mirror" -- but since you can add custom sites
to the "mirror list", they are not necessarily all mirrors.  e.g. I've
added my website as a download location; I keep pre-test-release
packages there...

If you want an actual local mirror of one of the official cygwin
mirrors, don't use setup.  Use a mirroring tool.  Heck, I use a script
written around wget.

--Chuck