RE: prev/curr/test

Woohoo!

> There are no skip, keep, reinstall, or source options.  Just
> install and uninstall.  If you want to install source, you
> select the install action and click on source.  If you only
> want the source and bin is checked, uncheck bin.  This won't
> cause an uninstall.  It will only cause bin not to be installed.

Hmm. I think that unclicking bin should uninstall - leaving it there
would be counter-intuititive.

> We could use colors in the Bin field to indicate things like
> "installed due to dependency" (blue) or "uncheck me at your
> peril" (red).

I'm red-green colour insensitive, which isn't quite colour blind, but
heading in that direction. If we do colour to indicate things, we should
only do it is a backup strategy - there should be some other primary
indicator.

> I think this would simplify things a lot and maybe cut down
> on use confusion.
>
> Actually, we could even get rid of the individual actions and
> add another button on the top to flip between the install and
> uninstall views.

How about:
>           prev ( ) curr (.) test (.)
>
> Package		 Bin	Source		Description
> bash 2.05a	 [X]	[ ]		Blah, blah
> fileutils 4.1-1	 [ ]	[X]		Blah, blah
> make 3.79.1-5	 [x]	[ ]		Blah, blah

Tick Bin to install foo. Untick Bin to remove foo. Tick Source to
trigger a download of the source (download only mode) or extraction
(install from x mode).

I think it's a good idea to have multiple interfaces - that's why 90% of
the coding effort I've been putting in has been aimed at separating out
the UI and the engine, to allow fast changes like this. I can have the
above layout in place in about 30 minutes, if you want to see it.

However, I think some folk will want the current interface, so perhaps
we offer a 'basic' and 'advanced' download of setup, or a [Advanced]
button somewhere on the chooser. (To start with I'd suggest two
downloads because the chooser doesn't use a factory yet, so I can't
parameterize the display at runtime. That is a goal though.)

Rob