Re: pager in default install

>> Now, back to the topic: more.  Just because util-linux is classified as
>> BASE by Debian, and we want to follow (within reason) Debian's category
>> scheme, it does not NECESSARILY follow that every program WITHIN
>> util-linux should ALSO be a 'base' package -- by splitting things up we
>> have more flexibility.  ('more' might be 'base'able -- but not merely on
>> the basis of util-linux's position in the Debian category scheme).
>
>Thanks, Chuck.
>
>What he said.
>
>cgf

This is very true. Well, if no one thinks 'base' needs a pager, I'm going to
abandon the quest for a Cygwin 'more'. I suppose it might be nominally useful
as a sort of legacy-compatibility package, but a symlink to less should
accomplish that (as already discussed). A competent user should be able to
figure that one out.

I did get 'more' to compile with some messy patches. It used old
re_comp/re_exec functions for regular expressions, I switched these to pcre
equivalents. With Chuck's nls->gettext code from ddate I even got
internationalization to work, so you can read more.help in Czech and Japanese
(the only languages included). :)

But, the source is from 1999 and doesn't seem to be ever updated. I'd be in
good company not worrying about it, too: I looked and 'more' was nuked from
FreeBSD 21 months ago:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.bin/more/Attic/

Anyway, unless someone beats down my door for it, that's the last of 'more'.