Re: release setup now?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
Cc: "CygWin-Apps" <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com>
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 22:24
Subject: Re: release setup now?

> I think so.  I know of two minor (non-show-stopper) nits:
>
> 1) IF (and only if) folks have used the setup-snapshots AND they
> happened to use a particular version (dunno which one, sorry), then the
> foo.lst.gz files in /etc/setup that were created by this particular bad
> setup.exe, contain 0x00 bytes at the end of each line.
>
> This has been fixed in setup itself -- but the bad .lst.gz files remain.
>   This *may* cause trouble in the future (when the .lst file is re-read
> for uninstall) but
>    a) it only affects a few people
>    b) it may not even be a problem (don't borrow trouble)
>    c) it's easily fixed by hand

b) The 0x00 is at the start of all but the first line, so it prevents
uninstall from removing most old files.  I've seen this effect when I've
replaced packages that I'd installed with a setup.exe snapshot that writes
the 0x00.

c) The attached script will repair the files.  It won't change files that
don't have the problem and preserves file modification dates and
permissions, so there should be no problem running the script even if you
aren't affected by the problem.

# Using clean_lst.pl:
cd /etc/setup
gzip -d *.lst.gz xxx/clean_lst.pl.gz