Re: Setup.exe

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 07:06:19AM -0800, Me wrote:
>Ya know - I'd like to see a slightly different (more useful packaging)
>selected as default for the setup.exe .
>
>Many people come along asking - where can I get a free c++ compiler for
>windows (or specifically GCC compiler for windows) so natuarlly I refer
>them to sources.redhat.com/cygwin, and then spend the next hour telling
>them they need to select GCC, Binutils, win32api, mingw32 in addtion to
>the things selected...  should be able to download setup, go next, next
>next next next, double click cygwin...  run gcc, make and have it be
>able to build both windows apps (-mno-cygwin) and cygwin unix-emulation
>apps.  supporting as much as is needed for your baseic ./confugre, make
>is not really neccesary - mostly it's students who use GCC at their
>school, and would like to work on homework.

When installing, tell them to click on "Devel" then click on "gcc" and
"make".  If they want to debug, click on "gdb".  That's all that they
need to do.

Since not everyone who uses cygwin is a programmer, we're not going
to include gcc as part of the base any more than we are going to include
all of the image processing utilities for people who want to play with
images.

>If this is not the appropriate place to send this, can someone please
>forward this?

It's appropriate here but you might want to avail yourself of previous
discussions about this in both this and the cygwin@cygwin.com mailing
list.

cgf