Re: mysql server out of the list

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 12:46:27AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>Chris,
>    Can you step up and explain the GPL issue...
>
>Regarding the pthread implementation, thank you :}.
>
>I am very open to changing/improving it to meet the needs of open source
>products, so if/when time arises, and you see how cygwin today meets the
>needs of MySQL, feel free to get hold of me.

What is the issue?  Are they providing a cygwin DLL without accompanying
sources?  That is the usual confusion regarding the DLL.

The Cygwin DLL is just like any "program" distributed under the GPL.  If
you distribute a binary, you must distribute sources, even if you have
made no modifications to the binary (cygwin1.dll).  Providing a pointer
to some other place to get the sources isn't adequate.

If so, that's probably the problem.  You can't just provide a binary.  You
have to provide the sources for the binary.  Linking to the cygwin.com web
site isn't sufficient.  You have to be able to directly provide sources
in compliance with the GPL.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding the situation.

cgf