Re: RFC: updated package wget-1.7.1-1

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 09:32:22PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> > It looks pretty good to me -- I rebuilt it from source right now and it
> > seems okay.  The *only* quibble I have is that the binary package
> > contains this file:
> >
> > /etc/wgetrc
> >
> > Since it is just a copy of /usr/doc/wget-1.7.1/sample.wgetrc, you should
> > probably just add some logic to your postinstall shell script:
> >
> > if [ ! -f /etc/wgetrc ]; then
> >   cp /usr/doc/wget-1.7.1/sample.wgetrc /etc/wgetrc
> > fi
> >
> > Of course, future versions must take care to change the
> > /usr/doc/wget-1.7.1/ path in that script...
>
> I agree.  It's some months ago when somebody complained on the cygwin
> mailing list that each new openssh version overwrites the config files
> which has been changed by the user with so much love in detail...

Ok, good point. I've now removed the /etc/wgetrc file from the package
and only copy it if none is present as suggested. I suppose I could
change the wget.sh to sed the postinstall script into /etc/postintall
instead of (as now) just copying it, but that will wait for next week
when I'll work on version 1.8 8-)

Will some of you upload it to sources.redhat.com ?

http://hackdata.com/cygwin/wget-1.7.1-1.tar.bz2
http://hackdata.com/cygwin/wget-1.7.1-1-src.tar.bz2
http://hackdata.com/cygwin/setup.hint

sdesc: "Utility to retrieve files from the WWW via HTTP and FTP"
ldesc: "GNU Wget is a file retrieval utility which can use either the
HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP protocols. Wget features include the ability to work
in the background while you're logged out, recursive retrieval of
directories, file name wildcard matching, remote file timestamp storage
and comparison, use of Rest with FTP servers and Range with HTTP servers
to retrieve files over slow or unstable connections, support for Proxy
servers, and configurability."
category: Web
requires: openssl libintl1 ash cygwin

> It's actually better the package only installs new config files if
> there don't exist old ones.  That's best handled in the postinstall
> script.
>
> I'm just still thinking about the following situation.
>
> Sometimes a package changes the config file layout or some other
> important detail has been removed or has been added.  How do we
> inform the user?  Rpm packages often rename the old config file
> to foo.conf.rpmsave or foo.conf.rpmold and the admin gets mail
> about an important change in package foo.

I hate when rpm does that. I really prefer when it leaves a
foo.conf.rpmnew file to look at (or just delete).

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Hack Kampbjørn