Re: which which

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 02:27:35PM -0500, Norman Vine wrote:
>John Morrison writes:
>
>>Maybe all the packages ought to state where they originated?
>
>FWIW this often helps :-)
>
>% package --version
>
>Should support for this be a requirement for all Cygwin packages ?
>AFAIK it is for gnu applications

We're not going to require that people modify non-GNU packages to adhere
to GNU conventions.

Possibly we should have this as a requirement for new packages, though.

FWIW, Cygwin is not a GNU project.  There is no reason to believe that
every package it provides is a GNU package.  And, I don't see any reason
to add flashing "not a GNU package" to the packages that don't come from
ftp.gnu.org.

cgf