Re: Restructuring gettext

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 06:30:20PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]

And, practically speaking, when Chuck makes his change and Joe Mazzola,
who maintains the boffo package returns from his unnanounced vacation,
he'll be met with scores of angry messages because his package stopped
working.

Of course it makes sense for package maintainers to update their package
dependencies.  We can't rely on this fact, though.

As with everything in cygwin setup, compromises are required.  I probably
went too far in saying that it is the package maintainer's responsibility
to update everyone else's package.  I was just trying to make it clear
that it is ok for a library maintainer to update packages which rely on
the package without fear of reprisal.

That is acceptable.  It's fine to be considerate, too, and let other
people know so that they can make the changes themselves.

As far as package meta-data is concerned, setup.hint will still be
around.

cgf