unversioned tarballs - do we need to support them (as far as prev/curr/test goes)

The only unversioned tarballs on sources.redhat are byacc and m4.

Is there any need for support for handling those correctly as far as
setting defaults goes?

i.e. can we lose this corner case from the version code.

I see the possible impact as

1) we need to release updated mt and byacc with versioned names.
2) Local tarballs that aren't versioned will still be installable.

Thoughts?

Rob