Re: -src package standard: proposal #5 and #5a

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 10:18:11AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:

>===

I don't agree that new packags should be automatically be marked as
install.  I think they should be presented in the correct state.
If the packages are selected via a category, or whatever, then they
should be installed, obviously.  Otherwise, I think they should just
be presented with a "Skip".

Tracking which packages are new could be handled by either modifying
installed.db to record all packages but mark them with their installed
state or to create a separate file.

A database would work too, of course.

>> - A One-Click "select all packages" button.  Hope Amazon doesn't read
>this.
>
>Thats what cgf and I just had a discussion on. I still don't see how a
>'select all packages' button will get clueless or new users to install
>what they need. And installing *everything* is exactly what we were
>trying to get away from. Clickable categories as well don't solve that.
>
>Still NMP.
>
>Chris, Corinna, please put heads together and decide: "select all
>packages button" or "clickable categories (so you can add a category
>'almost all' or whatever).
>
>Then tell me, and I'll code up the band aid for the categories branch.

I think that clickable categories is step one.

Adding a category to which everything belongs is step two.

Detecting package binary conflicts is step three.

Step three could be handled by upset.

cgf