Re: Non-intuitive setup.exe behavior -- downloading is affected by what's installed?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Kamens" <jik@curl.com>
To: <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2001 1:56 PM
Subject: Non-intuitive setup.exe behavior -- downloading is affected by
what's installed?

> However, when the new version of setup.exe is downloading into a local
> directory, it apparently by default skips packages that are not
> already installed on the local machine.  For example, when I ran it
> tonight, it decided to skip indent, since of course I don't have
> indent installed locally since I've never installed it before.
> Similarly, it's telling me that it's skipping the download of "cvs"
> since I don't have it installed.

Right, this is by design. Setup.exe is _not_ a mirror creation tool, nor
IMO should it be. FTP && HTTP based mirror tools exist already.

> Of course, I can work around this problem -- I'll just use wget or
> mirror to mirror the whole tree from one of the Cygwin mirrors instead
> of downloading it with setup.exe.  But I just wanted to comment that
> the current behavior of setup.exe doesn't seem fully intuitive.

I guess that depends on what your expectation of "download only" is. As
usual, I'll accept patches to extend setup, but in this case I'd suggest
that a button be added labelled "download all <insert curr/exp/prev as
per the selected radio button> packages"

> Note, however, that it's obvious that a lot of work has gone into the
> new interface and functionality, and overall, I like it a lot.
> Thanks!

I'm glad you like it.

Rob