Re: setup.exe suggestions

Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 11:12:36AM -0500, Roth, Kevin P. wrote:
> >CGF> - Don't ask about the start menu or desktop options if they already
> >exist
> >
> >And regardless of whether they exist: don't ask again if I initially
> >chose NOT to add them (or, provide a option that essentially says "don't
> >add these options and don't ask me again). There may actually be some
> >people who don't want one or the other (desktops and start menus can get
> >quite cluttered...)
>
>I actually thought about this but I don't think that you can safely assume
>that the fact that answered "No" once means that you will answer "No" every
>time.  Maybe adding an additional button like "Don't ask this question again?"
>would be ok but I hate to complicate the interface any further.

What about having it remember what you last selected, so if you unchecked
the check boxes the first time, then the next time it will still display
the dialog, but the checkboxes will be unchecked by default.

I would suggest the behaviour would be something like:

   if ( desktop icon exists && start menu short-cut exists )
     skip dialog
   else ( desktop icon exists && start menu short-cut not exist )
     display dialog (
       desktop icon checkbox disabled (greyed out)
     , start menu short-cut checkbox enabled
       and checked = previous setting (default true)
     )
   else ( desktop icon not exists && start menu short-cut exists )
     display dialog (
       desktop icon checkbox enabled
       and checked = previous setting (default true)
     , start menu short-cut disabled (greyed out)
     )
   else // (both don't exist)
     display dialog (
       desktop icon checkbox enabled
       and checked = previous setting (default true)
     , start menu short-cut checkbox enabled
       and checked = previous setting (default true)
     )

Actually, it would be really nice if all windows remembered their previous
settings, save having to retype or reclick a log.

Robert Collins write:
>Any alterations/suggestions etc please speak up, I'm not intending to be a
>dictator here :].

Okay, since you asked  :].

The remembering of dialog control settings as suggest above.
Particularly remember the last package view used would be nice.

Could something be done about how the dialog boxes of setup often disappear
behind other windows as it moves from dialog to dialog?  It seems to be
happening a lot more with the new setup.exe.

Add a package view that displays by category but only displays packaged
that need to be updated. (And doesn't display empty categories.)

Partial download resumption.

Oh, and if you can make it balance the national debt while you're at it,
that would be a nice-to-have too.  It would just be a little bit of code
wouldn't it?  :-)

E.