Re: "rsync -e ssh" hangs when lots of data is being transferred -- USE_PIPES in OpenSSH is the culprit

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 03:24:52PM -0500, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> >  Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:01:45 +0100
> >  From: Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com>
> >
> >  Really, I don't know what to do here.
>
> You're probably going to slap me for saying this, but perhaps we need
> to provide separate ssh and sshd binaries for NT users.  Can we have

Slap.

> I'll be a bit impish and point out that 9x is the past, since XP is
> NT-based, so perhaps we should favor solutions which work better on XP
> over solutions that work better on 9x.  Yeah, yeah, I'm only kidding,
> that's not a good idea yet, but there will come a time when it is.

In five years, perhaps?  Honestly, personally I don't want the
OpenSSH version using socketpairs back since I saw the difference
in speed.  And I'm not using 9x but 2K and XP.

> >  I'm attempted to say, if rsync is the only application having that
> >  sort of problems, it's worth that if OpenSSH works for _most_ 9x
> >  users.
>
> I doubt rsync is the only application that has or will have this
> problem.  I assume that any application which does two-way data
> transfers over ssh, e.g., cvs, sftp or ftp run over an SSH tunnel, or
> even perhaps X connection forwarding, will occasionally encounter
> similar problems.

That reminds me... what about trying to fix the pipe handling problem
in Cygwin instead of changing the application to workaround it?

Did you try to track it down with strace and/or gdb?

Red Hat, Inc.