Re: [Fwd: Re: cygwin-apps Digest 2 Nov 2001 18:46:34 -0000 Issue 223]

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 01:57:48PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:

> [...]

Same argument, though.  I am probably beating a dead horse because I
like diff and use it scores of times a day, but if diff is a dependency
of "something" then "something" should include it as a dependency.

If diff is required by setup.exe then maybe we really do need a
setup.exe dependencies section in setup.ini.  Or, we can have setup.exe
generate dependencies on the fly, figuring out what it needs based on the
packages it is installing -- which would be sorta tricky, I guess.

If we don't do this then someone will say "huh, diff.  I don't know what
that is." and unselect it with less than satisfactory results.

At some point, I think an unselect of a package that is the target of a
dependency should have an "are you sure?" prompt.  Is this there
already?  I don't recall seeing it.  If not, shouldn't we have something
like this in the first revision?  If we don't then we'll still have
people saying "I selected gcc and it also tried to give me other stuff
that I didn't want.  I unselected those but now I can't use gcc!!!"

cgf