Re: Autotools; new versions

    Earnie> I see the magic wrapper being nothing more than reading
    Earnie> the configure.in or configure.ac to get the AC_PREREQ
    Earnie> value and creating the appropriate symlinks to the correct
    Earnie> versions before executing the tool.  BTW, I just looked at
    Earnie> the configure.in in newlib and the AC_PREREQ value is
    Earnie> already 2.5.

I think an improvement on the symlink solution would be to incorporate
Chuck Wilson's suggestion of installing the newer autotools into a
separate prefix.  Then, the wrapper script could check AC_PREREQ, and
based on what it finds, could directly 'exec' the correct version of
automake or autoconf.  If necessary, the wrapper script could also
modify PATH for the automake/autoconf child processes.

--
Dario Alcocer -- Sr. Software Developer, Helix Digital Inc.
alcocer@helixdigital.com -- http://www.helixdigital.com