Re: Updated setup.ini with descriptions, categories, and dependencies

> Christopher Faylor schrieb am 2001-08-28 11:27:

>As I mentioned, I am going to be sticking with the RPM descriptions.
>
>The categories are a little more problematic.  I don't agree with them in
>some cases, but I was hoping to write a general purpose tool which generated
>dependencies and categories from RPM.  If every single package is a special
>case, then the tool isn't very useful.
>
>I don't mind trashing the tool but I'd like to understand why the RPM
>categories are not acceptable.

Why not use easier categories like they do in slackare?
They got 15 categories plus 'source' and 'contrib' where all the rest
lies, e.g. gcc-3.0 for the brave.
Many will not be needed for cygwin (x, kde, gtk, maybe in future?).

Some programs may also reside in two or more categories to find them
easier like cvs that i put (as a demo) in 'devel' and in 'net'.
Setup knows where the package is so there is no problem if one package
contains both, the runtime and the devel part of something.

As i see now, cygwin is really a development platform:
a:
==
ash, bash, bzip2, cpio, cygrunsrv, cygwin, fileutls, find, grep, gzip,
hello, login, sh-utils, tar, tcsh, txtutils, util,

ap:
===
clear, cron, diff, file, ghostscript, groff, gsfonts, less, man,
manpages, mt, rxvt, texinfo, time, unzip, vim, which, zip

d:
==
autoconf, automake, binutils, bison, byacc, ctags, crypt, cvs, dejagnu,
flex, gawk, gcc, gcc_g77, gcc_objc, gdb, gdbm, gettext, gpref, jbigkit,
jpeg6, libpng, libtiff, libtool, m4, make, ncurses, opengl, patch, pcre,
perl, popt, python, readline, regex, sed, strace, termcap, w32api, xpm,
xpm-nox, zlib

e:
==
no emacs

faqs:
=====
howtos, manyfaqs, minis, newlibman, docs

gnome:
======
no gnome

k:
==
what the hell is k;)

kde:
====
no kde

net:
====
cvs, lynx, mutt, ncftp, openssh, openssl, rsync, ssmtp, wget

t:
==
tetex, (tex_bin, tex_doc, transfig, xfig)

tcl:
====
expect, tcl, tix, tk

x, xap, xv:
no X (yet)

y:
==
games, contribs like: irc, mingw, postgresql, squid

Ciao,

Gerrit

--
gerrit.haase@convey.de