PostgreSQL does not work with Win/2K

Hello.

I've downloaded & installed the latest cygwin package.
 I installed cygipc, and compiled postgres.
Everything looked good with the build.  I start
ipc-daemon, and the postmaster with "Postmaster -i -D
../data".  This all works fine too.  When I try to
create the database using "createdb -hlocalhost
testdb", I get the following error:

pq_flush: send() failed: Invalid argument
pq_recvbuf: recv() failed: The descriptor is a file,
not a socket
psql: pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel
unexpectedly.
        This probably means the backend terminated
abnormally
        before or while processing the request.
createdb: database creation failed

I've looked all over the newsgroup archives, and I
haven't been able to find a solution.  Can anybody
offer help?

Thanks,
Kian Parsee