Re: Interesting project -- getting gjc working on Cygwin

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Anyone interested in tackling the project of getting the gcj compiler
> fully supported under Cygwin?  I don't know what this would entail,
> exactly.
>
> Maybe Mumit knows?  Mumit?

The compiler should, at least in theory, work just fine under Cygwin, but
the problem is the runtime. It's hard to port libgcj to Cygwin (threading
is just one issue), and I don't know what the current status is. Jon
Beniston <jon@sentinelware.freeserve.co.uk> was working on it, and at one
point had a non-threaded version ported to Cygwin [1], but his last known
URL http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~jb7216/libgcj/ seems to gone now.

I don't do Java, and not familiar with the gory details on what needs to
be done.

[1] http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/1999-q3/msg00240.html

Mumit