Re: perl-5.6.0 ready for test! (IMPORTANT READ THIS MESSAGE ON MAINTAINER STATUS!)

--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 02:13:54PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >
> >I wonder if the answer is a series of non-subscribable mailing lists:
> >
> >cygwin-autoconf
> >cygwin-automake
> >etc
> >
> >You got a question about automake on cygwin, send mail to
> >cygwin-automake. The message does NOT get posted immediatly, but is
> >routed to whatever poor fool is supporting automake on cygwin. He/She
> >approves and answers the message, and now that question is archived.
> >
> >This will lead to a LOT of very low-volume mailing lists.
> >
> >When a new or updated package is announced, there will obviously be a
> >lot of immediate discussion on the main cygwin list, but the constant
> >background how-do-I would migrate to the app-specific lists.
> >
> >Good idea? Bad idea? Tremendously stupid idea? Nice idea but would never
> >work in reality?
>
> I dunno.  I think it would probably be best to just use the existing mailing
> lists for this.  If we start making a mailing list for every cygwin package
> it will get pretty unmanageable.  I'll be spending 90% of my time saying
> "This is off-topic for this mailing list".  :-)

Yea, just use cygwin and cygwin-apps.  Package specific questions should be
asked on the already appropriate list for that package, e.g.: autoconf@gnu.org.
 IMO, most of the Cygwin related maintenace for a package will be low.  Some
will require some modification for WIN32 headaches but those patches should be
submitted to the official package maintainer for acceptance into the main
source core for the packages by the cygwin package maintainer.  Any Cygwin
specific questions can then be easily handled on the cygwin list.

Cheers,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>