Re: Collection of new/updated packages available for testing (rpm)

On Tuesday 22 Aug 00, Robert Collins writes:
> As I see it rpms (or the debian equivalent) offer three key improvements
> over DJ's setup.exe and any similar tar based solution:
> * pre-post install/uninstall scripts (i.e. check if you have /etc/services,
> if not install it, if you do call sed and edit it rather than replacing
> it...)
> * dependancy tracking. Each RPM
> * uninstall functionality (the database knows what was installed, what
> uninstalling it will break, what to do to uninstall item x).

Interesting.  Would dependency tracking know that 'make' requires
'ash', for example?

Isn't it a big job for the package maintainers to get all the scripts
& dependencies right?  (Or are there automated tools for that?)

Thanks,
David