Re: Pending change to cygwin DLL and binmode/textmode musings

On Sun, Jun 25, 2000 at 03:54:01PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>I like the idea of a database of files... that would mean less porting
>issues, particularly with programs that act on files in common with other
>tools.

Personally, I don't like the thought of maintaining a list.  I think we'll
constantly be saying "Update your /etc/filemodes to the newest version".
And, as the file grows larger it will take time to parse, slowing down
every cygwin application.  I guess we could get around that by setting
some kind of flag in the executable but if we are going to do that then
why not just record the filenames in the executable itself.

I'd rather have the programs operate correctly without external
dependencies.

Of course, there is nothing stopping us from using both methods.

cgf