This is the mail archive of the cygwin-announce mailing list for the Cygwin project.

Updated: parrot-2.2.0-1 New: rakudo-201003-1 (aka perl6)

I updated the parrot and rakudo packages from 0.8.2 to 2.2.0-1 in the Cygwin distribution. rakudo switched to date versioning for the monthly releases, so that's 201003 now, the april release on the horizon.

This is not from any branch of mine anymore, with only minimal patches.

Canonical homepage:
  http://www.parrot.org/

Canonical download:
  http://www.parrot.org/release/current

My repo:

http://code.google.com/p/cygwin-rurban/source/browse/#svn/trunk/release/parrot

I had most of the missing parrot and perl6 packages between 0.8.2 and 2.2.0 ready and uploaded some to my server, but decided not to release it until now for the following reason.
* My previous parrot packages could be installed easily, that means you didn't need to download from svn and build from source to create or maintain any other language. Most of these patches weren't accepted upstream, parrot decided somewhen to install needed -devel files into /usr/src/parrot possibly overwriting the parrot src package downloaded via the cygwin package. I gave up on this now.
* pbc_compat was given up. That's why I stepped down as committer. Something is planned for 3.0 though.

There are so many news since 0.8.2, please swift through the various Release Notes at http://www.parrot.org/category/news/news.
It got not faster though, had a massive step in passing perl6 spec tests (http://www.rakudo.org/status), many more features were added, some removed.

Note that parrot-2.2 is API-wise unstable.
I did not get rakudo matching the last *stable* parrot 2.0 working, so I went to 2.2 instead, which worked.

parrot-languages is gone. Previously I tried to keep up with parrot-pipp but that needed massive parrot patches. Only rakudo went up to be installable. The former languages are not in the parrot svn repo anymore, so they need seperate package and releases anyway. I'll try to keep up adding prominent languages when the opportunity arises. But since the pbc format is not forwards and backwards compatible and changes often, you need the exact matching parrot release. This will be tricky.

Packaging Details:
* I obsoleted libparrot0 and libparrot-devel and went to the simplier layout parrot and parrot-devel.
* parrot-devel installs into /usr/src/parrot/<VERSION>. Do not delete this if you want to compile languages, like perl6.

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your
system.  Once you've downloaded setup.exe, run it and select "Editors"
or "Text" and then click on the appropriate fields until the above
announced version numbers appear if they are not displayed already.

If your mirror doesn't yet have the latest version of this package after
24 hours, you can either continue to wait for that site to be updated or
you can try to find another mirror.

Please send questions or comments to the Cygwin mailing list at:
cygwin@cygwin.com

If you want to subscribe go to:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/

I would appreciate if you would use this mailing list rather than
emailing me directly.  This includes ideas and comments about the setup
utility or Cygwin in general.

If you want to make a point or ask a question the Cygwin mailing
list is the appropriate place.