Re: Updated: OpenSSH-3.4p1-1

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 06:50:10PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> I've updated the version of OpenSSH to 3.4p1-1.
>
> This is a official bug fix release.
>
> Note that the Cygwin source differs in one file from the official
> source since a last minute patch of the official OpenSSH maintainers
> did break privilege separation for Cygwin again :-(  So the Cygwin
> source archive contains a patched sshd.c.

Since that message wasn't as clear as I hoped, I have to add the
following text:

The code added by the OpenSSH maintainers checked the /var/empty
directory for ownership 'root'.  This is obviously not useful on
Cygwin.

The Cygwin version modifies that test so that if /var/empty resides
on a FAT or FAT32 filesystem, or if ntsec is not activated, the
ownership isn't tested at all.  If /var/empty is on a NTFS filesystem
and ntsec is switched on, the ownership is checked against the user
running sshd.  Hint: If sshd is started as service under SYSTEM
account, the ownership is checked to be SYSTEM...

Any further question as usual to cygwin@cygwin.com.  Please don't
send private email.

Red Hat, Inc.