Latest versions of inetutils/login/crypt now on sourceware!

Hi all,

I want to announce the arrival of the latest versions of
inetutils and friends on sourceware.cygnus.com.

We are now allowed to upload the 56 bit DES encryption related
stuff on sourceware so I took the chance to do that ASAP!

The three packages are:

- inetutils-1.3.2-4.tar.gz
  inetutils-1.3.2-4-src.tar.gz

  This package has some bug fixes. The most important is
  the usage of explicit textmode open calls on configuration
  files. This allows to have eg. inetd.conf with DOS line endings
  also in binary mounted directories. A memory fault in rcp
  is fixed, too.

  The incredible new feature for 95/98 users is the usage of the
  56 bit DES crypt package for ftpd authentication.

  Another new feature of the package is that I have added some
  example configuration files under /etc, like
        inetd.conf
        motd
        ftpwelcome
  and last but not least
        ftpusers
  which by default disallows anonymous ftp.

- login-1.3.tar.gz
  login-1.3-src.tar.gz

  The new version has NO new feature for NT/W2K users.
  The new feature is like in ftpd the usage of DES password
  checking for 95/98 users.

- crypt-1.0.tar.gz
  crypt-1.0-src.tar.gz

  This package consists of a libcrypt.a and a matching
  crypt.h header file which provide the aforementioned
  56 bit DES encryption code.

  More important for 95/98 users is the included tool
  `crypt.exe' which allows testing as well as generating
  passwords. It's not that convenient as a real `passwd.exe'
  tool but that tool is already part of the cygwin package.
  Unfortunately it's only useful for NT/W2K users but that's not
  the last word...

The following text is shamelessly copied from Chris:

To update your installation, CREATE AN EMPTY DIRECTORY, cd to it, and
download the latest version of setup.exe from the cygwin/latest
directory at a cygwin mirror site near you.  Then type:

setup inetutils
setup login
setup crypt

In either case, answer the questions as you did when you first
installed cygwin.  This procedure will only update the three related
packages.  If you have not previously used the new setup.exe program
to install a version of cygwin, you probably will need to install the
entire cygwin package for correct operation.

Once the setup is complete you may remove this newly created directory.
It will contain the setup.exe program, a setup log file, and the
make tar file.  None of these are needed for further operation of make
but you can keep them around if you are interested in reinstalling
everything later.  The setup.log file contains diagnostics that will
be helpful if your installation failed for some reason.

As usual, I have only updated sourceware.  The files will take a
while to propagate to the mirror sites.

If you have questions or comments, please send them to the cygwin
mailing list at:  cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com .  I would appreciate
if you would use this mailing list rather than emailing me directly.

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Developer